Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Family Bike Day!

[Now corrected to reflect the correct date.]

Here's an indication of just how "away" I have been from this blog:

I found out only today via the Wichita Bicycle Collective about last week's first annual Mayor's Family Bike Day. I hope it went well.

I am very very happy to learn that events like this are being scheduled. This gathering, along with such events as I Bike Douglas and other organized rides last month in recognition of National Bike Month, an emerging group of people interested in promoting riding, support on the City Council for cycling and pedestrians, and policy decisions in Washington that will give higher priority in funding to alternate and public transportation, cannot but help Wichita become a little more bike-friendly . . . and healthier, and greener, and safer.

8 comments:

Karen C said...

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was *last* Saturday.

John B. said...

Thanks, Karen--I both misread and was confusing it with something else.

Karen C said...

And in other news: welcome back.

Randy said...

Yes last weekend. Here are photos and video from the event.
http://locojoe.com/coasters/archives/705-First-Mayors-Family-Bike-Day.html

Russell Arben Fox said...

Cripes! I would have loved to have gotten my kids involved in that! And I think I could have done it too. Shoot; I'm sorry to have missed it. This is why I need to you updating this blog, John--so I can learn about stuff before I miss it!

And incidentally, welcome back.

Mountain Bike Helmets said...

Cool post! Maybe more towns should do something like this and promote biking among families and the youth. They're likely to have healthier citizens.

Kenneth Gibbons LLC said...

I think it would be a great idea for more towns to promote something like this. Children are more over weight than ever. To much playing with the computers instead of doing physical activities.

Kenneth said...

I am going to try and promote something like this for my town West Orange NJ.