Saturday, May 9, 2009

John Brown says . . .

National Bike-to-Work Week is next week! National Bike-to-Work Day is next Friday, May 15. If what I have observed round about town these past few warmer weeks is any indication, interest in bike-commuting is growing here in town; I'm hoping we'll be visible enough next week that we'll inspire others to consider cycling to work and motorists generally to see cycling as beneficial to them even if they themselves don't give up driving to work.

I encourage the bike-curious to plot a route to work and give it a try for at least a day or two. If you need maps to help with your planning, click on the "Bicycle Wichita" graphic in the right gutter for a .pdf file of bike routes. For inspiration, visit Bike Wichita. And if you happen to see me out on the south side of town on my burnt-orange Fuji, give me a wave that I'll interpret as a more-or-less friendly gesture, and I'll be sure to reciprocate.

Finals Week is next week; more (and more substantive) blogging will resume here after that. In the meantime, read this post by Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood (hat-tip: League of American Cyclists) and take heart that cyclists appear to have the ears of several folks in Washington who actually do have their hands on the purse strings.

(Photoshopping by the Mrs.)

No comments: