Friday, August 8, 2008

Checking in

Sorry for the light posting here; I've been busy with academic work, and I've not had occasion to ride lately, aside from a trip to the WSU library on Wednesday. It was on the return home on that trip, on Murdoch at about 3 in the afternoon, that I had a couple of close calls with cars trying to pass me that could not move to their left because of traffic on that side. By that time of day, Murdoch had become busy. I'll have to find an alternate route for afternoons.

On the other hand: On July 4th weekend I filled up with gas in Topeka and drove down; I had half a tank of gas left. Here it is, the 8th of August, and I still have most of that gas left still. True, I've not had to leave the apartment much, period, but whenever possible I've ridden the bike. It's paid off in my not having to buy gas for over a month, as well as all that good-for-your-health, reducing-carbon-footprint do-gooder stuff. On Monday I'll have to drive out to El Dorado, but I don't foresee needing the car on anything like a regular basis until I resume teaching full-time in the spring (I'm on sabbatical this fall--hence the academic work I mentioned above). Even then, I hope to ride the bike to work at least twice a week.

So: that's the news from the banks of the Little Arkansas. I hope to be a bit more regular in my posting here after Monday.

No comments: